As much as we humans love snooping through the presents or eating too many treats during the holiday season, so do our furry friends! Epicur shares your commitment to client education that will improve patient health. With so many new pet owners, here’s a handy printable list of these holiday dangers.
Top 6 risks for pets during the holidays
- Packages and their contents can be dangerous for pets to ingest. We have all heard the funny story of a pet chewing through a package before the gift can be given, but it could create a veterinary emergency.
- Chocolate and other holiday sweets are poisonous for pets. Best to keep the tray of cookies and candy bowls on higher tables during holiday parties.
- Poinsettias are mildly toxic to cats and dogs. This beautiful holiday tradition should be displayed out of reach to avoid the risk of a holiday emergency.
- Christmas lights bring the sparkle to the season but are a chewing hazard – electrocution, severe burns, and ingestion of lights and wires are a threat to all pets. Wrap the lights as tight as possible to the tree to limit the dangling temptation for cats, cover any cords leading from the tree to the outlet, and pick lights that are a steady color rather than twinkling or blinking. (Bonus tip: also make sure trees or decorations are secure, to limit the chances of them falling on a pet!)
- Tinsel and ribbon are not safe for cats and dogs to ingest and can cause internal blockages. It is safest to use wrapping paper without tinsel or bows, especially if eyes can’t be kept on a pet when the presents are out.
- Ornaments can be very enticing for animals, much like holiday lights. They think ornaments are like any other toy they can bat around. However, many ornaments are made with products that are toxic for pets to ingest and broken ornaments put pets at risk for cuts.
Make sure your practice is stocked for holiday emergencies!
Epicur can keep you prepared with bulk orders available to critical products such as Apomorphine and Buprenorphine.
Looking ahead to New Year’s: Although confetti celebrations are fun, there can be serious medical ramifications if pets ingest them. Confetti popping and booming of fireworks can also be anxiety-inducing for pets, which can cause them to act out. Remind owners to be mindful of their pets on NYE!
If your clients think their pet has gotten into any of these items, remind them to watch for these most common warning signs:
- Loss of appetite
- Increased thirst
- Abdominal aches or swells
We wish a happy and healthy holiday to you and your practice and want to help you be prepared for any holiday emergencies!